Summary: Introduction to Web GIS and evolution of GIS technology; GIS server capabilities; Spatial Analytics using a visualization app - ‘Insights’; a hands-on field data collection workshop using Esri Mobile Field App - ‘Survey 123’and visualizing your collected (crowdsourced) data using configurable Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS; and Python for spatial analytics, mapping and GIS administration.
Date/Time: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 | 9:00 am to 5:30 pm (see breakdown below)
Location: Rooms 745 & 743, NYU Bobst Library, 70 Washington Square South, New York NY - 10012
Instructors: Derek Law, Technology Evangelist, Esri Apps Product Management team, and Geri Miller, Solutions Engineer, Esri Education Outreach team.
Number of seats: Limited | Register by 2/11.
Sponsors: NYU Data Services | NYU IT + Libraries
Food: Refreshments will be served
1. Registration is required with your NetiD
2. Once you register, you will receive instructions and login link for your temp ArcGIS Online (AGO) org account.
- Smartphone (ios or android device) with 4G+ cellular network for mobile field data collection
- Laptop (mac or pc) with wifi connectivity for hands-on workshops
- Download “Survey 123 for ArcGIS” app on your mobile phone.
- Open “Survey 123 for ArcGIS” on your mobile phone, and log in with your temp AGO account.
9:00 - 9:15 am:(Room 745, Bobst) | check-in + coffee
9:15 - 10:00 am: (Room 745, Bobst) | GIS Today (Evolution of GIS and mapping / Web GIS)
In this session, we’ll discuss the Web GIS pattern and the evolution of GIS technology – how has the technology changed and what are the important technology trends influencing GIS today. We will investigate deploying a Web GIS pattern both in the cloud and in your own infrastructure. Concepts such as the geoinformation model, web maps, web layers and web apps will be discussed.
10:15 - 10:45 am: (Room 745, Bobst) | Esri's GIS Server technology: Capabilities and the “new server”
In this session, we will explore ArcGIS Enterprise, Esri’s updated “server” technology, which enables a Web GIS pattern in your own infrastructure. We will specifically explore the many capabilities it provides, such as Real Time GIS, GeoAnalytics, Raster Analytics, Business Analytics.
10:45 am - noon: (Room 745, Bobst) | Spatial Analytics
In this hands-on session, we’ll explore the Insights for ArcGIS app – a new app which enables iterative and exploratory analysis of your spatial or non-spatial data. Insights provides an intuitive technology with a simple drag-and-drop UI, which enables information to be easily extracted from data. Attendees will learn about various data sources to utilize within Insights, and will practice different methods of analyzing and visualizing the data.
- 1:15 - 1:45 pm: (Room 743, Bobst) | Instructions on how to collect field data using Survey 123 app.
- 1:45 - 3:15 pm: (Field data collection) | Attendees collect data in the field
- 3:15 - 4:00 pm: (Room 743, Bobst) | Visualizing your collected (crowdsourced) data using web app builders
In this session, attendees will explore the ArcGIS API for Python, a Python library for working with maps and geospatial data in your Web GIS. We will discuss main capabilities for analytics as well as portal management and content publishing.
5:00 - 5:30 pm: (Room 743, Bobst) | Q & A + closing remarks.
For queries related to this event please contact:
NYU Data Services | firstname.lastname@example.org or Him Mistry, Manager | email@example.com | 212-998-2427